Alton Greenhouse Technical Specification
Glass overhang on roof – This simple design means that no wood is exposed to the roof water run-off.
Glass overlaps wood at the base – By sitting the glass onto the metal base, again no wood is exposed to the run-off water from the side of the greenhouse.
Guttering system – Protects the sides by removing roof water.
Metal base – The specially designed metal base keeps the Cedar framework off the ground where conditions are damp. Unlike some other Cedar greenhouses, where it can cost hundreds of pounds to add a base, the metal base on Alton Evolution greenhouses is included on every model.
Capping system – If you wish to dramatically reduce the amount of Cedar that is exposed to the elements you can also upgrade to the aluminium bar capping system.
Here’s how clever design reduces maintenance by keeping water away from traditionally vulnerable areas on a greenhouse.
It sounds simple, but it is surprising how some greenhouses both aluminium or Cedar have become thinner over the years in order to save cost. The Alton Evolution models use thick glazing bars which are based on 44x 44mm timbers or 44x69mm in places. How do we do this and remain cost effective? When these models were being designed, we carefully studied the whole process from raw material and delivery and we discovered that a large part of the cost of the greenhouse was coming from double handling, storage and distribution costs mainly because the greenhouse was in large unwieldy fully glazed panels. By delivering the Alton Evolution models in a flat packed format massive efficiencies are made, which means that you get more for your money.
The 3mm Toughened safety glass that is supplied as standard with these models is in large panes which means that every pane is helping the rigidity of the overall structure. Toughened glass is 5-7 times stronger than standard horticultural glass and if you are unfortunate enough to break a pane, then it will disintegrate into hundreds of small pieces (like the side window of a car) – greatly reducing the chances of injury.
Bar capping system*
Most wooden Greenhouses have glass held in by a beading or a groove. The result of this can be that the glass ‘rattles’ in the frame. The Alton Evolution’s newly developed bar capping system uses the toughened glass as an integral part of the overall strength of the greenhouse by gripping it tightly. When you feel the greenhouse, there is little or no movement in it and you can see that it is far stronger (and you don’t get a rattling sound from the glass).
*This is a feature of the Evolution range of greenhouses only
- Mortice and tenon joints.The Cleverly designed jointing system on the Evolution has the duel benefit of making assembly straight forward and adding strength to the framework.
- Aluminium base – This keeps the wood well away from the base where water can sit. Plus this unique design feature allows the glass to sit directly onto the metal base – which means that the side water is not running onto the wood, (which is a ‘rot-spot’ on other greenhouses) The Metal base is included on every Evolution model, regardless of which kind of capping you choose.
- Guttering Takes the water away and allows you to collect it. Included on every model regardless of which kind of capping you choose.
- Roof vents. A generous allocation of roof vents is included with every model and every roof vent has an automatic opener included as standard. These clever devices work through heat expansion alone to open your roof vents gradually as the temperature changes. Fully adjustable, they help you to create the perfect growing environment.
- Louvres Your new Alton Evolution model will also include one or more louvre windows. These work in tandem with your roof vents – as the automatic roof vents open and release the warm air, the greenhouse effectively sucks air in through the louvres. These can be positioned near the bottom or the top and on most models at the side of the greenhouse or at the rear. Supplied as manual opening as standard and you can add automatic louvre openers if you wish.
- The unique Alton Evolution door system includes the low-profile door threshold. This popular feature means that you have no step at the door (many other greenhouses have a step at the door). Models of 8′ wide and above have 4′ wide access double doors which allow easy entrance for a wheelbarrow or wheelchair
- Optional Victorian ridge cresting (Victorian models only)
- The eaves height of 5’7″ on the Alton Evolution models is excellent and is as much as 18″ higher than the lowest greenhouses on the market. The extra height gives you several advantages: There is more air in the greenhouse creating a better growing environment, you have more head room and a higher door, and you have plenty of room for a high level shelf in the greenhouse.
- Extend to any length If you are looking for a serious greenhouse then our EIGHT, TEN and TWELVE models should suit – they’re extendable to any length, so you can easily specify a 10×30 or any size that you wish (in 2′ increments.
- Upgrade option Aluminium bar capping – With this new Aluminium bar capping system you really can have a virtually maintenance free Cedar greenhouse – and the stylish moss colour blends in perfectly with the cedar as it ages to the distinctive silvery colour.