Nothing is more likely to put Spring into your step than these seedling cupcakes topped with chocolate buttercream and Oreo crumb soil. Read on for step by step instructions on how to make seedling cupcakes for a Spring teatime treat.
Edible green modelling paste for the fondant seedlings
FOR THE CUPCAKES
150g good quality dark chocolate
100g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
200g light brown sugar
2 large eggs
75g plain or vanilla yoghurt
175g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM ICING
340g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
120g cocoa powder
625g icing sugar
6 Oreo cookies
FOR THE FONDANT SEEDLINGS
- You will need to make the seedlings at least 12 hours before. This allows the modelling paste to dry and harden. Knead the paste in your hands and then shape 12 little shoots out of it, making sure to leave enough stalk to insert them into the top of the cupcakes. Then leave them out to air-dry, preferably overnight.
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 190C / 375F (170C fan) and line a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcake cases or 12 silicon plant pot cases.
- Melt the chocolate, either in the microwave or over a saucepan of boiling water. If using the microwave stir every 20 seconds to prevent burning. Set to one side to cool slightly.
- Cream the butter until pale and creamy with no lumps. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the eggs a little at a time and mix well. Then add the melted chocolate and yoghurt and beat together.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix gently until just combined. Be careful not to over mix. Pour in the milk and vanilla extract and mix gently until all the ingredients are combined.
- Fill the cupcakes about three quarters of the way full to leave room for rising. Put in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- Cream the butter by hand or using a mixer until pale and creamy with no lumps.
- Add the cocoa, icing sugar, milk and butter and mix until fully combined.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitting with a large round nozzle and pipe a large blob of buttercream on top of each cupcake.
- Place the Oreo cookies into a heavy-duty plastic bag and beat with a rolling pin until they have completely turned into crumbs.
- Place the crumbs into a small bowl and gently dip the top of each cupcake into the crumbs.
- Ensure all the buttercream is completely covered with the “soil” and then place the fondant seedlings into the top of each cake.